I need to introduce you to Suz. After skyping and emailing I can enjoy this girl so much. She is real and funny and kind hearted with a killer sense of humor. That’s why I call her friend. And she is so inspiring when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle in an attainable way. Love that. Pleas enjoy her.
I’ve spent the entire weekend watching Gilmore Girls on netflix. Doesn’t it just irk you how they can eat and eat and eat, yet the nachos, donuts, chili fries and buckets of takeout never even phase those girls? Yeah… it totally kills me. Luckily, a year or so ago when I was faced with health issues and food allergies, I decided to challenge myself by recreating healthy, clean versions of all the foods I crave. And I’m not one who backs down from challenges, even if they are self imposed. So how about some hot wings ya’ll?
But wait! Before I get to the recipe, I should take a quick second to introduce myself! My name is Suz! I’m a wedding planner and marketing consultant by day, and a blogger by night. I write about my travels and adventures, all things glitter related, and of course, clean, paleo eating. I was married in 2013, I’m obsessed with my border collies and I own a really cute “vintage” camper named Jellybean. That’s me in a nutshell, so on with the recipe!
Hot wings became one of my favorite go-to meals in college. I quickly learned that they are not appropriate for first dates and that you there is an acquired skill in eating wings without getting sauce all over your face (you can read about that and see the original recipe here.) With my new found food allergies and aversions, recreating healthy hot wings was a must.
- 15-20 Chicken Wings/Drums
- ½ cup of Franks Original Hot Sauce (make sure it is the original without sugar!)
- ¾ cup of heavy coconut cream
- ½ tsp Roasted Granulated Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F – cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil – place a greased cooling rack on the cookie sheet so that the wings cook up on the rack.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken wings
- In a skillet, blend hot sauce, heavy coconut cream, garlic powder and smoked paprika – allow the coconut cream to melt into the hot sauce, making the hot sauce look creamier.
- Set aside ¼-ish cup of the sauce for later
- Lay a few wings at a time in the hot sauce, covering them thoroughly with the sauce. When they are covered in the sauce, place them on the cooling rack (that is on top of the cookie sheet.) Cover all wings with sauce and lay all of them on the cooling rack with a little bit of space between each.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes – flipping the wings half way through. Before you put them back in the oven drizzle the remaining hot sauce on the wings.
- I wanted to crisp my wings up just a tad so when they were done baking, I flipped the oven to broil for 2 minutes.
- These pair well with the Whole30 Homemade Ranch and Celery!
As for that homemade ranch… who really knew how incredibly easy it was to make your own ranch dressing!?! Seriously! It’s crap free and it tastes AMAZING. To get the deets on the ranch (because you cannot enjoy wings without it) click here and scroll down to the ranch section!
The best part about these wings? They are gluten free, sugar free, soy free, dairy free, and crap free! Huzzah! Give ’em a shot and let me know what you think! I love eating food, but I really enjoy eating clean food! Many thanks to the amazing and lovely Nina for having me here today!
I’d love to meet you! Swing on over to my blog 2 cats & chloe and say hello! You can also find me here:
For more recipes of the healthy versions of your fave foods and for her many adventures, please check out my friend’s blog. She is one of the best.
Visit the Peony Sponsor: