So I am linking up over with Leslie at A Blonde Ambition whose blog I’ve always loved, for Confessional Fridays but Girlfriend said we had to do a day in the life, and we had to keep it real. Extremely real. I am regretting a few of these picture especially the one of that nice blemish. But alas…here we go.
From Left to Right. 1. I wake up. In SF, I woke up at 5am. Now I wake up at 6:10. Okay, that is a lie. My first alarm goes off. I have a total of five alarms that go off. Then I get up. And I am extremely happy. Not so much. That is why I blow my hair out the night before because it’s crazy and it takes too much time and at least this way it is predictable.
2. I keep my make up very simple for work. This is because, although I love make up, and am very good at it, if I had too many steps in the morning, I would be more inclined to forgo make-up…and that is not an option at this job. So, I keep it very simple and I smiled for this photo because compared to the last photo, it seemed wise.
3. Then my dad drives me to the train station. Woo Hoo. it’s like high school. Basically I am staying in the burbs until I find my apartment in the city. I don’t let him ask me questions in the car or listen to talk radio because in the morning a wildebeast takes over my body and I need the soothing sounds of nothing. So I wear my yogi flip flops to the train and to walk around the city. I am sorry though you will never see me in 80’s clunky white gym shoes carrying my heels in my hands.
4. Supposedly this station is caffeinated. Today (Wednesday) I do not feel caffeinated. Because I am not. On the train ride into the city, I read as many blogs as possible and comment when I can. And then I sit in silence. Please don’t speak to me. Or talk on your cell phone loudly. Wildebeast, remember? When the ride ends, Nina emerges like magic.
5. I arrive at the office and put on my heels and become a professional at a real place of work. I love my new job. It’s complicated but it’s good and I’m still on boarding which humbles me (also good). My old job was kind of like a big kids playground. You could wear lulu lemons to work. Not so here. I am a grown up professional women and my hair and dress show this. Amazingly, this also helps people behave like grown up professional people.
6. When things become too complicated, like I am learning a third language (english + italian), I look out the window and I feel better.
7. I have the most messed up phone cord. I finally get it replaced after trying and trying to straighten it out. My new one is so nice and I don’ t have to stay two inches away from the console.
8. I am obsessed with my Whitney English Planner and also lists. Lists and post-its. Everywhere. Because I think of the right things at the wrong time.
9. I do a lot of writing at my job. This makes me happy. But I’m still new. So there’s that.
10. On this day, I take a taxi because I am trying to meet a friend and am running late. I am trying to make the 5:13 train. Will I make it? It’s always kind of a game. Will I make it?
11. Lots of people are trying to get home. Once I accidentally stepped in front of man and immediately apologized profusely. “You’re not sorry,” he snarled at me. “I didn’t see you. I’m sorry,” I told him because it was the truth. “It’s not hard! It’s like driving.” He stomped away and I said nothing. Well. Because.
12. This is the train. So interesting, right? You can kind of see my bag. When I moved to SF with only an interview, my friend called me the day before. She worked for Kenneth Cole. Do you have a girl briefcase, she asked me. Uh no. So she overnighted one and it is fab to this day. All leather and gorgeous.
13. After dinner with a friend we get ice cream. I am a ice cream champ. But apparently I can’t talk and eat ice cream at the same time. He wanted photo cred. Thanks, Taylor.
14. Leslie, is this the reality you’re looking for? I always take my make up right when I get home because of all the commuting etc. on this dayc I discover a giant pimple.
15. I work on the blog if I have the energy. Lately, it hasn’t been so great because I’m writing this on the train the morning it’s due. It’s getting harder and harder to blog every day, not for lack of ideas but for lack of time. Find that recipe here.
16. I take a bath and read almost every night. It is a luxury but I have a chronic condition that it helps with. Also I love to read. Then it is lights out. So did I keep it real? Do you know the real me better now?